[LAU] Building a Debian realtime kernel

Jan Weil jan.weil at web.de
Mon Jun 1 05:40:24 EDT 2009

(resent as it seems the ML is not fond of the attachment)

Hi Marije,

I also build an rt-kernel (2.6.29.2-rt10) for my Thinkpad T43 just a
couple of weeks ago and I am very pleased to find it working well.

On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 08:47:43PM -0400, nescivi wrote:
> I've finally tried to make a realtime kernel for Debian, as posted on my site
> here: http://www.nescivi.nl/?p=111 (and also below, but without cross-
> references).
>
> However, I'm still getting xruns in jackd, at rather uncritical settings
> (large period sizes...).
>
> So I'm wondering what else could be going wrong...

Well, I don't know what might be missing in your config, but I put my
config here <http://www.jawebada.de/bucket/config-2.6.29.2-rt10-T43> as
a reference. The only problem is my Atheros WLAN controller, which
causes periodic xruns. That is why I configured a separate audio
runlevel without WLAN and a minimized process list. On the other hand,
this is the first time that I can use an rt-kernel for daily use as WLAN
and even suspend-to-ram work flawlessly.

> I also found it a bit weird that the Debian package building did not make the
> initrd image.

This might be related to a recent change in Debian's kernel-package (are
we talking about the unstable branch?). Check
/usr/share/doc/kernel-package/NEWS.Debian.gz and
/usr/share/doc/kernel-package/README.gz in particular:

"Note that you will have to arrange for the actual initrd creation to
take place by installting a script like
/usr/share/kerne-package/examples/etc/kernel/post{inst,rm}.d/yaird or,
alternately,
/usr/share/kerne-package/examples/etc/kernel/post{inst,rm}.d/initramfs
into the correspondung directories /etc/kernel/post{inst,rm}.d, since
the kernel-postinst does not arrange for the initramfs creatorto be
called. You can thuse select your own; initramfs-tools or yaird."

Cheers

Jan