[LAU] Some thoughts on making electronic music

Atte André Jensen atte.jensen at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 04:59:23 EDT 2009

Ken Restivo wrote:
> Some words of wisdom from a local electronic musician:
>
> http://www.generalfuzz.net/blog/?p=486

Some good thoughts.

Personally I found it a good idea to:

1) Record to vocals (maybe only cue vocals) as soon in the process as
possible (obviously doesn't apply to instrumental music).

2) Try to make a full length arrangement of the song/track pretty soon
in the process. No matter how nice or long a loop is, the more times I
hear it, the harder is is for me to hear how it can connect to music
comming before and after it.

Both of these makes it easier for me to get ideas that actually supports
the track and not just random bursts of "what about this sound".

Another thing: I sometimes set time aside for maintaining my sample
library or cooking up new presets for my synths. This for me is an
important part of the creative process, but somehow it distracts from
the composition if I have go too much into right brain activities like
this while trying to be creative with melody and lyrics and moods and
stuff...

> Of course, there's another problem replacing it: the potential
> distraction of endlessly tweaking the system instead of making music
> on it.

That's been touched quite a lot here recently, hasn't it? I for one will
rather record audio than compile svn repos or tweak kernel configs to
get that golden feature. Still I patch a kernel now and then :-)

--
Atte

http://atte.dk   http://modlys.dk   http://virb.com/atte