[LAU] Audio Distribution Proposal...

Jostein Chr. Andersen jostein at vait.se
Thu Jun 4 02:38:48 EDT 2009

On Thursday 04 June 2009 01.09.32 jrogers wrote:
> I know that the conventional wisdom is that Linux audio is not for “new
> Linux users” but I think that is the root of the “chicken/egg” problem that
> we have here. A predictable, stable, reliable audio distribution may
> generate the support that the particular distribution (and Linux audio in
> general) needs to get to the next level.
>
> Can we “prime this pump” with a conservative but very useful distribution?

Is there really need for another distribution? The problem people have is the
RT-kernel, especially in relation to Nvidia and ATI cards and often way to old
apps. Well, it's some problems problems too, such just have a working system
when everything is installed.

The mainstream distros does provide excellent infra structure for users,
applications and package repository systems, why use efforts on making a new
distro when the need is a stable reliable RT-kernel and an environment that in
a easy way makes it possible to use newer applications such as Ardour 2.8,
Rosegarden 1.7.3? Will a conservative distro provide the community with newer
apps?

This last six months, Ubuntu seem to have most RT-problems, but other distros
are also affected, any distro can have this kind of RT-problems later.

I've used/tried Musix (outdated), JAD (outdated), Ubuntu-studio (outdated
(8.04) and unreliable (9.04)) and 64studio (outdated, and the current beta 3
don't boot on my system), and right now, Fedora10/CCRMA 64 works; this
realities are quite different for everyone.

So a functional RT-kernel project for Debian (derivatives) would be nice for a
start.

Jostein