[LAU] Audio Distribution Proposal...

shane richards shanerich at email.com
Thu Jun 4 19:37:40 EDT 2009

>>Can we ?prime this pump? with a conservative but very useful distribution?

>I've tried Ubuntu Studio, Studio64, Musix, and Fedora/CCRMA.  I agree with
>pretty much
>everything you said in your post.  My favorite, because it's worked so
>flawlessly for
>me, is Fedora/CCRMA.  I have a long history of working with RedHat
>professionally so
>I'm tilted in favor of RPM based distributions.
>
>-Scott

Another approach that I´ve been thinking about, would be a general LAU
repository covering the different distros that we all use.
LAU/Fedora, LAU/*buntu, LAU/whatever...

I know that many of us here have some pretty cool scripts, setups,
custom guis made in python-qt or TK, or x/k/gdialog, rebuilds of
standard apps to support Jack (libxine or mplayer come to mind),
some of us keep up with different trees in a project (I always
use the new_fx_and_sample_fun branch
of Hydrogen, for example).

So...something along the lines of the Ubuntu ppa´s, but keeping out of the
distros´ official channels, to avoid all the stupid political crap
that go with such distros. (Which would also allow people to include scripts
to add wine-based stuff without fear and lothing), A small "base" area
that does the relevant tweaks for the distro (A link to a known good kernel,
install the rt_irq script, install necessary tweaks for Jack)...the rest all
personal stuff to go on top.

As far as the "base" stuff goes, I don´t give a **** about wallpapers, icons or some audio
distro´s "perfect" desktop - I´m a KDE guy so half of these audio distro´s work
is useless to me (imagine all that work being redirected at finding and packaging
every single jack app out there, instead)

All it would require desktop wise would be XDG compliance -
a .menu, and and .desktop files to create a new submenu (keeping out of the now
ridiculously bloated "Multimedia" menu ("Categories=AudioVideo"),
instead, have a "Categories=X-Linux-Audio-User".

If what I just wrote is completely incoherent, I blame jetlag (and 20 hours stuck
in a damn waiting lounge), sorry...

- Shane