[LAU] Pulseaudio, Dave's Ubuntu review....

Rob lau at kudla.org
Sat Jun 6 12:18:37 EDT 2009

>All Ubuntu users (GNome) seems to do all kind of hacks to remove or
>disable pulseaudio. Also Dave names it as a solution to work with
>pulseaudio on Ubuntu Studio.
>AFAIK you can solve this whole thing by:
>$ pasuspender qjackctl

Fair enough, but by the time I go "pasuspender firefox" and "pasuspender
virtualbox" and pasuspender all the other programs I use that cause
Pulseaudio to use 100% of my CPU and stutter madly while causing no similar
problems using plain Alsa (or JACK, when it's supported), I've accomplished
the same thing as "sudo mv /usr/bin/pulseaudio
/usr/bin/pulseaudio.disabled; sudo ln -s /bin/false /usr/bin/pulseaudio;
killall pulseaudio" which I only have to do once.

>If I'm right, we should find new ways to prevent having all those myths

Pulseaudio performing poorly for many people is not a myth.  I look forward
to the day when PA provides solid playback performance, low latency and
automagically sends my audio to all my other machines.  In the meantime,
it's as useless as esd or artsd and much more of a hog.  There's no need
for me to report bugs because eliminating it is exactly as useful to me as
getting the bugs fixed.  I have Alsa's built-in mixing for multiplexing
audio of mainstream apps, JACK as a necessary evil for real audio apps, and
for the once in 3 or 4 years that I want to share audio between machines,
icecast.  PA is a scratch in need of an itch.

Rob