[LAU] CLI interface for bit-for-bit duplication of CDs?

Peder Hedlund peder at musikhuset.org
Mon Jun 8 09:09:29 EDT 2009

Quoting Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com>:

> I wonder what the command line folks do here for CD duplication. I
> need to duplicate some new studio CDs for listening in different
> environment. The CDs require gapless writing - no 2 second gap -  as
> some songs flow from track to track. They also should support CD Text.
>
> In the past I've done this stuff in k3b but for some reason many of
> the copies of new CD-Rs I'm receiving aren't playing in my car stereo.
> Strange as the original CD-Rs play perfectly. I've tried 4 different
> media types. It's always the same CD-R copies that fail. My copies
> work elsewhere - Windows iTunes ripping, my home CD player, my wife's
> car - just not my car.

First, make sure to lower the writing speed. I'd use x8 or something.
And some car stereos are more sensitive than others.

As for CLI rip/burn I just tried this (from the wodim manpage):
  "To copy an audio CD in the most accurate way, first run
    'icedax dev=/dev/cdrom -vall cddb=0 -B -Owav'
   and then run
    'wodim dev=/dev/cdrw -v -dao -useinfo -text  *.wav'
   This  will  try  to  copy track indices and to read CD-Text information
   from disk.  If there is no CD-Text information, icedax will try to  get
   the information from freedb.org instead"

You might need to adjust the device names to suite your setup.

I don't know (and I doubt it) if icedax is more accurate than
cdparanoia but it seems to be the only "easy" way of ripping cd-text.
I also haven't verified if it's really gapless but the -dao should
indicate it.