[LAU] q: HDMI audio

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 23:57:03 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 8:48 PM, Loki Davison<loki.davison at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 1:11 AM, Dave Phillips<dlphillips at woh.rr.com> wrote:
>> Mark Knecht wrote:

>>> Check the MythTV lists. There are a number of threads there about
>>> people doing this.
>>>

>> Hey, Mark, thanks for the pointer. It looks like I might be able to find
>> some use for that port after all. The laptop has fairly recent nVidia
>> 8200M chipset, which is supported by their most recent driver. I'll
>> check out its possibilities re: audio, it's not being used for anything
>> at this time.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> dp
>>

> How do you connect your external screens then, DVI? Or you just use
> your laptop screen? I run a dell xps laptop connected to a 24" dell
> screen over hdmi at work and a 27" at home.
>
> Loki

If you go through a home theater receiver then I believe the receiver
routes video to the monitor and audio to the speakers. HDMI carries
audio, and if your monitor has speakers then audio can/does go there.
(I think) If you don't want to use the speaker in the monitor then you
turn them off at the monitor and listen to 5.1 through the receiver. I
think that's going to be a pretty standard connection for MythTV
folks. I've not used HDMI for much but my dad's new FIOS cable TV
setup has HDMI. He was shocked when we connected one cable from the
STB to the monitor and then used the monitor's speakers. It was very
easy and everything was cool.

Might be a Y cable of some type that routes video one direction and
audio another. Seems like a natural but I don't know of one. Or even
just a 1-in/2-out sort of cheap box if necessary. Again, not sure
about that stuff.

Hope this helps,
Mark