[LAU] what's up with midi clock

Atte Andre Jensen atte.jensen at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 03:27:30 EDT 2009

Brent Busby wrote:

> No, actually it just sounded like Atte was trying to assess whether
> debugging problems with MIDI i/o in the apps was worth doing anymore,
> now that we have Jack connections within the software.

In a way I was. Of course we need midi support (and we have). But the
"not worth" in this case really just reffers to my specefic application
which is syncing chuck on one laptop with sooperlooper on another.

While midi being important and all, I still feel (and I really mean
*feel*, I, as mentioned, don't have much to back this up) that there
seems to be some "hacks" or confusion within the midi implementations.
At least I guess it's never gonna be as good sync-wise as jack
transport, where it's software to software and the central piece (jack)
has it's source code open for all client developers to look at.

I think I mentioned this before, but I tried syncing ardour and renoise
through jack transport, and they sync perfect to the point you feel it's
the same program, except that you have two windows open!

Basically I'm not trying to discard the midi standard or anything just
getting my feet wet with midi time code, that's all :-)

--
Atte

http://atte.dk   http://modlys.dk   http://virb.com/atte