[LAU] what's up with midi clock

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Thu Jun 11 08:06:50 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 6:09 AM, Atte Andre Jensen<atte.jensen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Marc-Olivier Barre wrote:
>
>> I've been trying to decipher this thread, and I still don't understand its
>> purpose. Is there an actual problem to be solved here or is this just some
>> subtle freestyle ranting ?
>
> I'm sorry to have caused confusion.
>
> I was asking how to implement midi clock, since there seemed to be some
> subtle differences between the specs and the things worked in warious
> programs, at least that how it seemed when I played with it.

This is true in hardware too. Not to quite the same extent as with
linux software, but its still not too hard to find subtle things wrong
when using MIDI Clock to sync devices. The protocol spec is written in
wierd english, not particularly clear about intent when it comes to a
few details, and as a result, people interpret things differently.