[LAU] OSS tweaks redux

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Fri Jun 12 19:17:07 EDT 2009

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 6:22 PM, Kim Cascone<kim at anechoicmedia.com> wrote:
> I know I'm preaching to the choir here but at some point someone with
> some clout in the Linux world is going to have to read the riot act to
> kernal developers w/r/t audio.

The mess is not in the kernel. The kernel has a single audio API
(provided by ALSA (*)). The mess is out in user space, and I'll just
repeat what I said here a few months ago:

--------------------------
Its not politics. Its the lack of politics. There are no leaders
withany power to enforce any decisions. There is no police authority
to identify people who fail to comply with "joint decisions". There is
no justice system to punish or expel those who do. This is an
anarchistic meritocracy, and yes, its harder to get system
infrastructure developed in this environment than in a system like
windows or OS X where a single person can say "it shall be thus".
thats good, and its bad.

There is no one to read the riot act to. There is no court to hear the
complaint. There is a large and diverse crowd of people who all
believe that their solutions to the "audio mess" on Linux is clearly
the right approach, and unfortunately only a few of them understand
the limited scope of the needs they are addressing.

--p

(*) the existence of firewire devices that have traditionally been
easier to support via a user-space library rather than ALSA
complicates this picture quite a bit these days.