[LAU] Daemons, daemons...kill those daemons.

Gabriel M. Beddingfield gabriel at teuton.org
Sun Jun 14 11:58:33 EDT 2009

Brent Busby wrote:

> PortAudio:

Isn't PortAudio an API... not a sound server?

> Arts ("artsd"):
>
> I already have some doubts about eliminating this one, at least in any
> system that hopes to have a KDE desktop available.  Even if we don't
> need it per se, KDE seems (at least to a naive user like me) to be
> deeply wedded to it.  There are even direct mentions of artsd setup in

FWIW.... aRts is needed for KDE 3, but has been removed for KDE 4.  It is
replaced by Phonon.  From what I gather, Phonon is more of an API (like
PortAudio) than a sound server (like aRts).  However, it is able to be
configured with different backends (libxine, gstreamer, NMM, and Helix are listed).

For more info:
http://multimedia.kde.org/arts-faq.php
http://phonon.kde.org/

HTH,