[LAU] Daemons, daemons...kill those daemons.

nescivi nescivi at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 14:13:46 EDT 2009

Hiho,

On Sunday 14 June 2009 13:50:26 Jostein Chr. Andersen wrote:
> On Sunday 14 June 2009 18.10.51 Brent Busby wrote:
> > Okay, thanks for the info.  By the way, is KDE 4 still a mess (as I keep
> > hearing), or should all the fear and loathing subside now?
>
> If someone says that now: don't listen to them, it's probably the old
> Desktop War ghost running in someone's mind.
>
> Many people (including me) are using KDE4 and it's very clean and user
> centric (and thank God, it's still hacker friendly, users are still not
> protected against them self as in some other environments/OSs) ;-) .
> However, I did not go from KDE3 before 4.1 was out.
>
> Look at this:
>
>   http://www.josander.net/images/kde4.png
>
> If you look at the right side, I have my Desktop Icons in groups (DAW,
> System, Guitar, Synths/Sampler etc) and the Desktop folder in a plasma
> widget (avoidin loads of icons here and there. I do also normally hide my
> panel but shows it now for the screenshot. Also, I use GTK, KDE, QT and
> Gnome apps when needed, no problem. Why do some people still have problem
> using an app just because it's a QT or KDE app? I don't get that.
>
> Messy? No way!

What are you using for these groups?

I upgraded a while ago, but am not completely happy yet... I miss the single
command line widget to just launch programs from (the one that someone made is
still rather buggy, and doesn't work well in the panel). And I'm getting weird
interferences with OpenGL apps; I suspect there is some weird interaction
going on there between KDE4 using OpenGL and the app using it.

sincerely,
Marije