[LAU] Audio Distribution Proposal...

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 13:58:01 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 12:13 AM, Atte Andre
Jensen<atte.jensen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
>>
>> Seems that this thread's energy got shorted out somewhere.
>>
>> Too bad. Fun read.
>
> Something good came out of it, however; I'm now running arch (instead of
> ubuntu) and loving it.
>
> --
> Atte
>
> http://atte.dk   http://modlys.dk   http://virb.com/atte

Is that arch, as in Arch Linux, and not arch as in ~arch on Gentoo? I
read your web page and feel disappointed that the Gentoo install still
either frustrates or scares off so many people, but it sounds like you
made a good decision. I hear good things about Arch.

WRT to the original audio distribution proposal I want to throw out an
idea that Linus and some of the other high-end kernel developers have
been discussing on the LKML, and it rings true as possibly important
for folks like us doing audio work. The comment was that distribution
packagers haven't accepted the idea of providing a 64-bit kernel with
a 32-bit tool set. The idea, as I understand it, is that with a 64-bit
kernel you get the potential advantages of using all the features of
your newer 64-bit processor - newer hardware flags, more memory. On
the other hand 32-bit apps might work better in virtualized
environments and, in my experience, would provide more backward
compatibility with older audio and Windows stuff. Linus and others
seem to think it's a a good thing to do, but no one is doing it yet.
I'm not qualified to say what's good or bad about it.

Just an idea about how this could lead somewhere different, if enough
people thought it important enough to actually undertake.

Cheers,
Mark