[LAU] Thin Client Server/Client Question

hollunder at gmx.at hollunder at gmx.at
Thu Jun 18 09:57:53 EDT 2009

On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 23:13:20 -0700
murrah boswell <otrcomm at isp-systems.net> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I am absolutely new to voice communication via IP but have a
> requirement to setup a teacher-to-student voice communication
> capability in a thin client system. I am currently using K12LTSP 5EL
> (Centos5) in a development testbed that will eventually be put into
> production in a learning lab. I use fl_teachertool to maintain visual
> contact with the desktop of each connected terminal client (TC).
> fl_teachertool also allows me to take control (mouse and keyboard and
> desktop) of any terminal client if I need to demonstrate a task or
> application to a student. What I would like to be able to do is allow
> the teacher to communicate with any individual student via headphone
> and microphone.
>
> Also, I need to keep the system completely self-contained. That is, I
> can not require the system to depend on any type of outside
> switchboard or voip service provider.
>
> Could someone please point me the in proper direction for how to
> design and build this system?
>

> Regards,
> Murrah Boswell

You could look into using jabber(XMPP)+jingle(the standard, not
necessarily google's libjingle) for that. It would allow for text, voice
and probably even video. It can be run completely selfcontained, you'd
just need a jabber server. Where I'd see the bigger problem is the
client side. There are very few clients that can do voice and probably
fewer that do video and I don't know how much user interaction would be
required with the clients as they are. As far as I know the most likely
to work framework/client is telepathy/empathy which is sadly tied to
gnome.

HTH,
Philipp