[LAU] Audio Distribution Proposal...

nescivi nescivi at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 02:17:00 EDT 2009

On Wednesday 17 June 2009 14:19:00 alex stone wrote:

> >> Mark, even better would be native 64bit across the board.
> >>
> >> Alex.
> >
> > What do you mean by 'native' 64-bit?
> >
> > I run 64-bit Gentoo with all apps built as 64-bit. Have for 4-5 years
> > now.
> >
> > - Mark
> >
> |As do i Mark. i meant i don't understand why we should pursue 32bit
> as a continued option if, where possible, apps can be written for
> 64bit by default.

There are some apps out there, which are quite complex to rewrite for 64bit,
and it will take a couple of years, before rewrites of these apps are there
that work 64bit.

Most notably the language part of SuperCollider, because of the way certain
things are encoded for the garbage collection parts (as far as I understood).

Right now, I'm building the lang in a 32bit chroot, but it would be much
nicer, if I could build it linking with 32bit libs, without the chroot.

Debian is making some steps towards making this easier the the 32bit apt
package, but up till now I found the documentation rather unclear as to how to
actually do something useful with it, so I haven't really tried it out yet.

sincerely,
Marije