[LAU] Paul Hindemith says hello

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 09:37:29 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 6:24 AM, Fons Adriaensen<fons at kokkinizita.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 02:51:53PM +0200, Bengt Gördén wrote:
>> >
>> > Given that this was written in the early 50s, it is quite
>> > prophetic.
>>
>> On the other hand he is wrong about musical creation being restricted to a
>> certain number of people so I vote for him being just dyspeptic.
>
> He's not saying that musical creation should be restricted to a
> small number of predetermined people. But de facto, like all
> artistic endeavour, it is a minority activity, We may all be
> potential great composers or artists, but most of us do not
> exploit that potential, just look around. Maybe 10% of the
> population is capable of producing anything that would be
> regarded by the remaining 90% as music they'd want to listen to.
> Less than 1% could do something that would survive a generation
> and become part of music history,
>
> Ciao,
>
> --
> FA

I started to write something similar on my first response but deleted
it thinking someone else could do a better job. I'm glad I didn't.

Well said and thanks.

Cheers,
Mark

P.S. - I think your numbers are far too optimistic, but maybe the
'industry' has both found the 10% that sort of can and lowered the
tolerance of the 90% to get them to think they agree? Ah, industry...
Better living through chemicals?