[LAU] Lightweight Distro

Jaromír Mikeš mira.mikes at seznam.cz
Sun Mar 1 15:23:16 EST 2009

<  Hi all, I need your advice,
<
<  I've got a MacBook with 1.83 Ghz Intel Core Duo and 512 MB ram.
<
<  I would like to install Linux on it (single or dualboot with Mac).
<  I would like something lightweight, as I can't upgrade the memory.
<  I will use it for School Music Teacher work mainly (word program, .some
<  basic music recording, internet)
<
<  Any suggestions in lightweight distro and Applications?
<
<  While we are at it, any suggestions with Online or OS independent Life
<  Organizers (GTD or not?)
<
<  Feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

You can try 64studio ... on media specialized linux distro with rt kernel included.
Now is there 3.0 beta2 with is already very stable and 3.0 release will be probably very soon .
On Ubuntu Hardy based distro. Gnome + metacity are  light ;)
Worth to try.
http://www.64studio.com/

Cheers

mira