[LAU] controlling xruns in a VM

frank pirrone frankpirrone at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 20:42:24 EDT 2009

I'm working on a Parallels VM running on my MacBookPro to give a Linux
audio demonstration to ouI'm working on a Parallels VM running on my
MacBookPro to give a Linux audio demonstration to our local LUG and seem
to be getting the best performance from Fedora 10 extended with CCRMA.

Tried ArtistX, Ubuntu Studio, JAD, and Musix too, and just upgraded to
Parallels 4.0 with significant improvement in functionality and
performance, but that was after setting up Fedora 10 and deleting the
others so I don't know if any of them would leapfrog and wind up in a
better position than they occupied under Parallels 3.0.

Anyway, if any MacBook or other OS X user has found an optimal
configuration for running Linux audio in a Parallels VM (and I know
that's not how you'd do critical audio work), I'd appreciate any tips
you might pass my way.  Currently, I'm using built-in input and output
set in OS X's preferences and for the VM, and in jack 1024 frames/period
with 4 periods/buffer in RT.

Folks at this WNYLUG (wnylug.org) here in Western New York are quite
interested in  virtualization technology as well as audio work so I'd
like to be able to give them a good look at both.

Thanks for any suggestions or help.

Frank