[LAU] standalone midi editor

alex stone compose59 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 23:29:48 EDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 6:24 AM, Justin Smith <noisesmith at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 8:18 PM, alex stone <compose59 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 6:15 AM, Justin Smith <noisesmith at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Have you tried seq24? I think it captures things like banks and
> >> patches if they are standard midi messages at least, but have not
> >> tried this explicitly.

> more

> wonder

> > Justin, thanks for the quick reply.
> > I should add here i'm writing orchestral music, so the tempo's going to
> be
> > quite fluid, and not in a loop, or 4 on the floor sense, for much of the
> > time.
> >
> > Alex.
> >

> > --
> > Parchment Studios (It started as a joke...)
> >

> Just a shot in the dark here, not something I have tried, but wouldn't
> this be a non-issue for a one or two bar phrase like you are
> describing? It could simply record the notes, it does not necessarily
> have to quantize them or loop them.

Justin, a good point.

In terms of workflow, when most of a piece can be played in live, (recorded
audio straight from the sampler to Ardour), i'm thinking it would be highly
useful to quickly open the "Standalone Editor", knock out the phrase,
including manually editing for 'human feel', record that phrase as audio,
then keep going.

Alex.

p.s. I'm really big on efficient workflow, and using keystrokes where
possible. Call me old fashioned. :)

--
Parchment Studios (It started as a joke...)