[LAU] Web-based Notation

andy baxter andy at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Thu Mar 19 17:13:33 EDT 2009

David Baron wrote:
> Folk seeking notation alternatives my check this out!
>
> http://www.noteflight.com

Does it have a midi import feature? I am trying to help out a friend who
wants to be able to print out music that he has played on the keyboard
in notation form, partly as a way of learning notation for himself, and
partly as a way of communicating with other musicians who like to see
things in this form. (He is a good pianist but mostly self taught and
doesn't work in this way normally).

I've tried most of the programs available for linux, and none of them
really do what he wants. The main problems are that:
- he wants the scores in piano stave notation, with two staves, not just
on a single stave. This is quite difficult to get working from what I've
tried so far.
- the stuff he plays is quite dense and poly/multi/non/rhythmical, and
programs like lilypond that I've tried seem to get indigestion with it.
This might be a problem with rosegarden's lilypond export feature though.

Any help with this from you or anyone else on the list would be much
appreciated, as I've been trying to find something that works for over a
month now with no luck.

Cheers,

andy