[LAU] Edirol UA-1EX. Prob with analog recording

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Sun Mar 22 12:50:51 EDT 2009

I'm trying to help someone with an Edirol UA-1EX usb soundcard.

Using aplay, he can get sound output from the card, but no success in
recording anything using the analog line-in rca connections on the card.
About an hour ago I suggested the arecord line below, which I found on the
alsa site. Link below.

 http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Edirol_UA-1EX

arecord -r96000 -fS24_3LE -c2 -Dhw:2 ~/recording.wav

Output from running the above arecord command below:

<Dale, he says>
Okay, with the switch to the advanced driver position:

  arecord -r96000 -fS24_3LE -c2 -Dhw:2 ~/recording.wav
        Recording WAVE '/root/recording.wav' : Signed 24 bit Little Endian in
3bytes, Rate 96000 Hz, Stereo
        arecord: set_params:954: Sample format non available

And fwiw, I tried several settings with Advanced Driver in the OFF
position:

 arecord -r48000 -fS24_LE -c2 -Dhw:2 ~/recording.wav
        Recording WAVE '/root/recording.wav' : Signed 24 bit Little Endian,
Rate 48000 Hz, Stereo
         arecord: set_params:954: Sample format non available

 arecord -r48000 -fS24_LE -c2 -Dhw:2 ~/recording.wav
        Recording WAVE '/root/recording.wav' : Signed 24 bit Little Endian,
Rate 48000 Hz, Stereo
        arecord: set_params:954: Sample format non available

  arecord -r24000 -fS24_LE -c2 -Dhw:2 ~/recording.wav
        Recording WAVE '/root/recording.wav' : Signed 24 bit Little Endian,
Rate 24000 Hz, Stereo
        arecord: set_params:954: Sample format non available
<end quote>

He has 3 soundcards on the machine, as below.

cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [CA0106         ]: CA0106 - CA0106
                      Audigy SE [SB0570] at 0xea00 irq 18
 1 [SI7012         ]: ICH - SiS SI7012
                      SiS SI7012 with ALC655 at irq 18
 2 [UA1EX          ]: USB-Audio - UA-1EX
                      EDIROL UA-1EX at usb-0000:00:03.1-1, full speed

<Dale, he says>
I have been able to play through card 2 with:

 aplay -D front:UA1EX DepecheMode-CatchingUpWithDepecheMode-side1.wav

<Me>
Has anyone any experience in using the Edirol UA-1EX usb soundcard, and is
able to record analog sound with it? If so, how?

A whole bunch of searching the LAU archives (only 12 months, as I'm on
dialup), also the alsa-user archives for 2008, which only turned up one post
with no replies, where someone wanted to get spdif output working on the
UA-1EX, has left me stumped.

Having never used a usb soundcard, I'm unaware of any problems with them, but
would gratefull if anyone is using, or has tried the UA-1EX, and has been
able to record to disk with it.

Many thanks to those on the list who may be able to help.

Nigel.