[LAU] Cheap USB MIDI interfaces

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 16:35:08 EDT 2009

A friend possibly wants to set up a Linux system to teach himself
keyboards. He's currently looking for a weighted MIDI keyboard which
he can do on his own but needs info on what USB-MIDI intersfaces
available online at someplace like Sweetwater or Musician's Friend are
Alsa/Jack compatible. I'm guessing he'll set up Rosegarden and a
couple of soft synths and be very happy.

Does anyone have an up-to-date list of what can be purchased new today
that works? I use a Midiman Midisport 2x2 which I can still find on
Ebay but it's not listed at Sweetwater anymore and everything that is
listed seems WAY too expensive to me for this task. ($80 or higher)

What can a guy buy for $20-$30 that will get MIDI into his laptop?

He's currently distro shopping. Probably he'll go with Ubuntu or CCRMA.

Cheers,
Mark