[LAU] hpet timer

alex stone compose59 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 18:33:15 EDT 2009

Might be a bit of a curly question this one.

Currently, most of my templates for LS and RG are setup with alsamidi.
I've started converting the LS ones to jackmidi, and i'm starting to use it
more and more.

My question is:

With alsa 1.0.19, i have hpet timing. (and i don't know enough about this,
to know if it's been there for a version or two.)

Nearly all my linux experience has been with the RTC timer, for better or
worse, and frankly, i have little idea which is better, save the
conversations we've had here from time to time.

So, what does Jack use?

I understand alsa sits in my kernel, and communicates with my hardware.
Given that, it's using hpet as the timer, and i assume here, that means it's
timing midi for me as well.
There's also some sort of rtc emulation in this version (from the little
info i've been able to glean.)

Is there a benefit, timing and stability wise, in using jackmidi for as much
as possible, with the a2jmidid bridge to capture older apps using alsa,
given the rapid development we've seen over the past 12 months in many
corners of our little niche community.

Is it time to consider this, as a serious alternative to alsa midi, and what
sorts of pros and cons do we face?

I'm using a lot of ports, and driven fairly serious chunks of midi data, for
my orchestral nonsense, so this is quite important looking ahead. (imho)

Some insight into this would be appreciated.

Alex.
--
Parchment Studios (It started as a joke...)