[LAU] firewire newbie in trouble

Gabriel M. Beddingfield gabriel at teuton.org
Sat Mar 28 12:45:00 EDT 2009

Atte André Jensen wrote:
>> Some distro's don't compile with FFADO support by default.  You may need to
>> compile JACK from source and enable FFADO.
>
> Any way of finding out about weather that's the case before I tear my
> system apart?

$ jackd --help
[snip]
          -d backend [ ... backend args ... ]
              The backend can be `alsa', `coreaudio', `dummy',
                                 `freebob', `oss', `sun', or `portaudio'.
$ jackd -d freebob
jackd: unknown driver 'freebob'
$ jackd -d firewire
jackd: unknown driver 'firewire'
$ jackd -d ffado
jackd: unknown driver 'ffado'

I don't have it on *my* system.  If you get the same... then neither do you.

> Should/could I keep my original jack installation? Could I install in
> parallel and just use the compiled version?

The JACK devs say that you should LEAVE your jack package in-tact and overwrite it.

$ tar xzf jack-audio-connection-kit-0.116.1.tar.gz
$ cd jack-audio-connection-kit-0.116.1
$ ./configure --prefix=/usr
### MAKE SURE IT ENABLED FFADO OR FREEBOB... whichever one you want.
$ make
$ sudo make install

To do it without overwriting the distro's package (using --prefix=/usr/local) is
a little more involved, and if I tell you to do that I may receive unbearable
scorn from Paul Davis (the lead JACK dev).

Peace,
Gabriel