[LAU] Connecting FTDI USB serial to ALSA Seq

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Sun Mar 29 05:29:08 EDT 2009

On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 09:35:32AM +0100, Folderol wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Mar 2009 09:31:06 +0100
> Folderol <folderol at ukfsn.org> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 29 Mar 2009 01:22:13 -0700
> > Ken Restivo <ken at restivo.org> wrote:
> >
> > > I'm building an Arduino-based MIDI pedalboard. The FTDI USB serial device does not show up as an alsa-seq device, but rather as a serial port.
> > >
> > > Some time ago, I remember downloading and using a small daemon someone wrote, which connected this serial port to an ALSA seq port. I have it somewhere on one of these computers, but I can't figure out where. Also, the Googling I've done has come up with lots of falst positives and not the actual goods.
> > >
> > > Anyone messed around with Arduinos and ALSA? Or know where this daemon might be?
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > > -ken
> >

> > I remeber seeing this myself somewhere - also can't remember where
> > {pretty useless info}
> >
> > Have you tried looking through the arduino playground pages?
> >
> > http://www.arduino.cc/playground/
> >

> Just had another look and there it is :)
>
> ttymidi is in the communications section and redirects to:
>
> http://www.varal.org/ttymidi/

That's the one! ttymidi!

Thanks! It was driving me nuts to not be able to remember that.

I'm finding myself having a lot of "senior moments" like that lately. Kind of scary since I'm still relatively young (42). Stuff like forgetting the keystroke combinations for doing stuff in Emacs that I do hundreds, maybe thousands of times a day.

If it weren't for Google and mailing lists, I'm not sure I'd remember how to breathe.

And thanks for the JACK-RACK advice too; I couldn't find a Debian package for 1.4.7 but I found an Ubuntu one, and built and installed it... and it supports MIDI'ing the Enable button!x Yay.

I'll take pictures of what I end up with when it's done.

-ken