[LAU] pulse config

Burkhard Ritter burkhard at linuxaudio.org
Wed May 6 19:21:10 EDT 2009

Patrick Shirkey schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> I have the pulse volume control applet running (not to be confused with
> the volume control applet, btw).
>
> I have an onboard hda-intel which is working almost perfectly (apart
> from the known issue with the headphone output not always working).
>
> I have the jack-sink and jack-source modules setup and apparently
> running at least according to qjackctl.
>
> I also have a usb-audio phone for skype.
>
> In the pulse volume control interface...
>
> - I have one option for output devices:
>
> VOIP USB Phone
>
> - I have three options for input devices:
>
> jack source
> VOIP USB Phone
> HDA ATI SB - STAC92xx Analog

This is indeed strange. Do you see all devices in the devices tab of the
pulseaudio manager? What modules are loaded? For me it's
module-alsa-sink and -source for each sound card (onboard intel and usb
ua-25) so four in total. All this gets setup correctly with my standard
Ubuntu install which utilises just module-hal-detect (in
/etc/pulse/default.pa) to load all the aforementioned modules.

Does your pulseaudio work without the jack-modules loaded? I would try
this first. Note also, when you use the jack modules, jack usually grabs
  the soundcard exclusively so the normal pulseaudio module-alsa-...
won't work for that sound card. I have a different pulseaudio config
file for jack which doesn't load the module-alsa-* modules, so all sound
goes over jack. You can also load and unload those modules at runtime
but a different config file and restarting pulseaudio seemed easier.

> If I play mplayer -ao pulse it pops up in the playback tab and if I try
> to move the stream there is still only one option for VOIP USB Phone.
>
> If I remove the usb phone I get a Null Output in the output devices
> section of the pulse audio volume applet...

That's what I'd expect with your described scenario.

 > Cheers.
 >
 > Patrick Shirkey
 > Boost Hardware Ltd

Hope that makes any sense. Hope it helps.

Best,
Burkhard