[LAU] state of multimedia

James Cameron quozl at us.netrek.org
Wed May 6 20:44:57 EDT 2009

On Thu, May 07, 2009 at 06:36:01AM +0700, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> The annoying thing is I already have ffmpeg package installed and I
> assumed that if I have that package then I should also get a version of
> blender compiled to use it.

Yes, if you compile blender.

> What's the point of making a non ffmpeg
> blender that has priority over a compatible version if the ffmpeg
> packages are already installed?

Priority?  What priority?  You're in control.  If you want to install
Blender from source, it would use your ffmpeg package.  If you choose to
install Blender from a restricted distribution, you get those
restrictions.

> Jack is included in fedora core IIUC so I have no idea why anyone would
> compile mplayer without jack support.

Why not ask them?  I imagine you'd find either some bug, or they wanted
to promote some other audio interface, or they've made it an optional
package.

> To me it just highlights the state of multimedia support in Fedora and
> possibly other OS's where there is still a level of disconnect that IMO
> has been overcome in the LAD community and is shown by the people who
> package the audio apps.

On the other hand, it simplifies the packaging, and gets the packages
out there in some form that basically works.  It might not work to the
level of excellence that we demand.  A dumbed down distribution.