[LAU] state of multimedia

sonofzev at iinet.net.au sonofzev at iinet.net.au
Wed May 6 20:57:49 EDT 2009

On Thu May  7  6:36 , Patrick Shirkey  sent:

>James Cameron wrote:
>> On Wed, May 06, 2009 at 06:04:31PM +0700, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>>
>>> I'm looking at blender again and it appears that the reason it won't
>>> load a movie for me is because the Fedora 10 version was compiled
>>> without ffmpeg support.
>>>
>>> WTF?
>>>

>> Certain libraries trigger license or patent issues in some countries,
>> and so Fedora won't package them.  As a result, they must compile
>> Blender without a critical feature.
>>

>>> mplayer without jack support and blender without ffmpeg support.
>>>
>>> I hope they fixed both in Fedora 11.
>>>

>> Don't bet on it.
>>

>>>  Do all the distros have this policy?
>>>

>> No.  Several distributions have a more relaxed policy.  Hunt around.
>>
>> Some distribution communities also provide a secondary repository for
>> restricted formats or libraries.
>>

>The annoying thing is I already have ffmpeg package installed and I
>assumed that if I have that package then I should also get a version of
>blender compiled to use it. What's the point of making a non ffmpeg
>blender that has priority over a compatible version if the ffmpeg
>packages are already installed?
>
>Jack is included in fedora core IIUC so I have no idea why anyone would
>compile mplayer without jack support.
>
>To me it just highlights the state of multimedia support in Fedora and
>possibly other OS's where there is still a level of disconnect that IMO
>has been overcome in the LAD community and is shown by the people who
>package the audio apps.

This also highlights the advantage of source based and more customisable distros
such as Gentoo or Arch.. where you can set these options yourself. Sure a little
more work, but you get what you want.

Of course also the jacklab, ubuntustudio, and 64studio distros...