[LAU] [OT] Help with mixing and mastering?

Fons Adriaensen fons at kokkinizita.net
Sat May 9 12:58:50 EDT 2009

On Sat, May 09, 2009 at 09:33:40AM -0700, Justin Smith wrote:

> Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I am under the impression
> that running a PA with no speakers is in no way harmful. It is similar
> to having an electric outlet without anything plugged into it, your

Most amps won't mind being unloaded, notable exceptions being
those having a transformer at the output (e.g. tube amps).

> real danger is too heavy a current drain (ie. sticking a fork in the
> electric socket, or a low impedance speaker in a speaker jack that
> cannot handle that low and impedance).

A well designed amp should survive that as well - certainly
if it's meant for PA where cables and plugs get damaged and
a short circuit is a real possibility.

Some amps are designed to survive almost everything except
a direct lightning strike. I once drove a power drill using
an Amcron DC300A, it worked perfectly and I'm still using
that amp...

Ciao,

--
FA

Io lo dico sempre: l'Italia è troppo stretta e lunga.