[LAU] Snare drum mic too hot

Darren Landrum darren.landrum at sbcglobal.net
Sun May 10 11:36:42 EDT 2009

Scott wrote:
> There's no pad button.  There's a phantom button to give it a little extra juice.

Oh dear, this is a major misconception, as it should turn out.

Phantom power is intended to provide power to mics that contain active
electronics. This includes most condensors, except for tube-based ones
which will have their own power supply. Dynamic mics and especially
ribbons should never have the phantom power turned on.

I personally think there are better solutions then phantom to powering
active mics, but that's an argument for another time.

-- Darren