[LAU] Snare drum mic too hot

Brent Busby brent at keycorner.org
Sun May 10 12:28:35 EDT 2009

On Sun, 10 May 2009, Paul Coccoli wrote:

> On Sat, May 9, 2009 at 8:54 PM, Scott <lau at troutpocket.org> wrote:
>> Ray Rashif wrote:
>>> Did you try padding it? Or does this preamp have no pad button? Can't
>>> tell by the photos nor is it stated.
>>
>> There's no pad button.  There's a phantom button to give it a little extra juice.
>
> That is NOT what phantom power is for.  Usually, phantom should be
> switched off on your dynamic mics (kick, snare, and toms) and on for
> your condensers (overheads).

Amen.  Just so the original poster knows, switching on phantom power
sends 48 volts of DC power straight into the attached device, whether it
was designed to take it or not.  There are microphones that need that
(condensers) to function.  For anything else, that is BAD...  On my
mixer, the phantom power buttons on each channel are RED buttons, and
for good reason!

+ UNIX Systems Admin	 +  banging on a million typewriters will
+ Physical Sciences Div. +  Shakespeare.  Now, thanks to the Internet,
+ James Franck Institute +  we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky