[LAU] jackdmp and libjack.la

Olivier Guilyardi ml at xung.org
Mon May 11 10:44:35 EDT 2009

Stéphane Letz wrote:

>> In other terms, every autoconf/automake based software which builds a
>> shared
>> library which is itself linked with libjack, normally uses libtool and
>> thus
>> requires libjack.la to be present. This includes applications (such as
>> Muse I
>> presume) which build convenient internal shared libraries.
>>
>> I suggest that you ask on the waf-users google group how to make an
>> .la file,
>> they know what this is all about.
>>
> It seems using .la file is *bad idea* AKAIKS, see:

[...]

I know there's a controversy about .la files. libtool is certainly a very old
thing, and I don't like it either.

But, you should consider the fact that Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, etc.. include .la
files for all libs, and ask yourself whether you want to maximize compatibility
with Muse and others.

And what you really should do IMO is ask on waf-users. These guys know the
problem and will tell you what's best.

--
  Olivier