[LAU] Fons could you make us an Hammond ;)

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Tue May 12 02:41:00 EDT 2009

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 01:29:43AM +0200, David Adler wrote:
> On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 12:15 AM, Josh Lawrence <hardbop200 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 5:08 PM, Julien Claassen <julien at c-lab.de> wrote:
> >> Fons!
> >> ?? Let's make a bargain: We collect the info and you design and implement the
> >> code. I'll do the help-function again. :-) Aeh... Well perhaps still a little
> >> unfair... :-( Pity!
> >> ?? Warm regards
> >> ?? ?? ?? ??Julien
> >
> > not to threadjack, but if we could get in touch with this person:
> >
> > http://people.dsv.su.se/~fk/beatrix_home.html
> >
> > ...and talk him into making Beatrix open-source, we might get a lot
> > further than asking someone to code it from scratch.
> >

> Back in 2007 there was a related thread, named
> "Free-as-in-freedom B3, other than Bristol?"[1].

IIRC, I was involved in that thread back then.

> Csound b3-emulation patches are mentioned there,
> and azr3-jack[2]. I don't know how well azr3-jack suits
> for a Hammond emulation but it makes nice sounds.
> At least it's a GPL option for not starting to code from
> scratch.

I have been using AZR3-JACK ever since that discussion two years ago, on my own tracks, with live bands, in the studio, on recordings, and now even on a commercial rock record. I love it. Problem solved, AFAIAC.

The Leslie emulation could be a tiny bit more accurate, and the tonewheel shapes are kind of "flattened" sines (with several different settings) rather than a 100% faithful representation of a Hammond tonewheel, but, hey, it works and it's free and open-source and it sounds great.

-ken