[LAU] Jack-rack saves the sample rate with its patches

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Tue May 12 02:45:21 EDT 2009

I have been messing around with the XML of JACK-RACK's patch files (to play with smudge/clean filters in git to store them in my source control system), and noticed something weird:

  <channels>2</channels>
  <samplerate>48000</samplerate>

Huh? Jack-rack saves the sample rate of a patch? Why?

I wonder what that's for? If I open a patch that I saved when using my internal HDA-Intel card at 48000Hz, then open it when using my FastTrack Pro (only does 44.1Khz), will Jack-Rack waste cycles doing all kinds of crazy sample-rate conversions in order to match what its saved file told it to do?

Perhaps more insanely, do I need to keep separate, parallel versions of all my Jack-Rack patches-- the only difference being the sample rate-- for each of the audio interfaces I use?

-ken