[LAU] AZR3-JACK midi bindings (was: Fons could you make us an Hammond ; ))

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Tue May 12 14:15:35 EDT 2009

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 07:02:51PM +0200, David Adler wrote:
> On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 10:34 AM, Ken Restivo <ken at restivo.org> wrote:
> > On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 10:11:07AM +0200, Julien Claassen wrote:
> >> Hi!
> >>   Does azr3-JACK have a commandline or otherwise textbased interface to
> >> control it? Sounds interesting.
> >
> > IIRC at one time Lars had an SLV2 version of AZR3, which could theoretically work from a command-line SLV2 host.
> >
> > -ken
> >

> hi,
>
> A -nogui option of some kind would be nice, but at
> least the GUI can be ignored.
> I found a MIDI controller number for every single
> knob or switch on the gui, except for the mono
> switch (please post it in case anyone knows).
>
> This by far extends the MIDI bindings listed here [1]
> for the original VST version by Rumpelrausch T??ips.
> Thanks, Lars!
>
> [1] http://www.nabble.com/file/p21189855/AZR3%2Bmanual%2Band%2Blicense.pdf
>

> ====== AZR3-JACK MIDI bindings =======
> ============================
>           AZR3-JACK listens to channels 1-3
>

> == "main"-section =================
> 	click	        	02
> 	bender		03
> 	sustain		59
> 	shape		04
>  ________________________________________
> 	perc		        05
> 	perc vol    	06
> 	perc fade  	08
>  ________________________________________
> 	vol 1	        	09
> 	vol 2		        10
> 	vol 3	        	11
> 	master		07
>  ________________________________________
>   	bass pedal midi
> 		split	        58;
> 			0 = off
> 			1...126 = splitpoint C#0...F#10
> 			127 = off
>

> == 1st manual ===================
>  ________________________________________
>  perc
> 	on/off		12; 	> 63 = on, < 64 = off
>  ________________________________________
>  sust
> 	on/off 		60; 	> 63 = on, < 64 = off
>  ________________________________________
>  drawbars
> 	16'	        	13
> 	5 1/3'		14
> 	8'      		15
> 	4'	        	16
> 	2 2/3'		17
> 	2'	        	18
> 	1 3/5'		19
> 	1 1/3'		20
> 	1'	        	21
>  ________________________________________
>  vibrato
> 	on/off		22; 	> 63 = on, < 64 = off
> 	strength	        23
> 	mix	         	24
>

> == 2nd manual ===================
>  ________________________________________
>  perc
> 	on/off		25; 	> 63 = on, < 64 = off
>  sust
> 	on/off		61; 	> 63 = on, < 64 = off
> [...]

Yep. I also have a patch here that I used in order to change the MIDI bindings more to my liking.

I still think it'd be more productive to improve AZR3, or to build something new out of DSSI/LADSPA/LV2 plugins, than to try to convince some guy to change the license on what is essentially an orphaned proprietary product. But whatever, it's all good, and I'd sure love to try a JACK/Alsa-seq version of Beatrix.

The world of VST's is littered with orphaned non-free products like this-- awesome little things that someone hacks together for fun or out of big dreams of future riches, then loses interest in or otherwise abandons, but nobody is allowed to take them up and continue with them.

I think the case of Beatrix, plus the counter-examples of PHASEX and AMS, all together provide an excellent case for using the GPL for music software.

-ken