[LAU] Fons could you make us an Hammond ;)

Fons Adriaensen fons at kokkinizita.net
Tue May 12 16:20:40 EDT 2009

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 07:02:55PM -0400, Darren Landrum wrote:

> For me, the most interesting part would be emulating the sound of the
> old preamps, plus the amp (you want the tube sound, right?). Then,
> there's the rotary speaker, the most interesting part of all. Look at
> lumped modeling for the tube preamp/amp parts of the chain.

The tube amos can be emulated using non-linear convolution,
same for reverb (probably springs), and this can be done quite
accurately if we could measure the real thing.

Recordings of individual tone wheels would be essential as well,
to find out what was the exact waveform.

And then there is the general structure, and details such as
how the 'percussion' effect (allowing an envolope on some of
the harmonics, very nice and a classical sound if you use the
third) worked. As far as I can remember this was not polyphonic.
So what were the parameters and how was it triggered (by each
new note or only the first after releasing all keys...) etc.
etc.

Ciao,

--
FA

Io lo dico sempre: l'Italia è troppo stretta e lunga.