[LAU] Opinions: Acer Aspire One w. 8Gb SSD

Justin Smith noisesmith at gmail.com
Wed May 13 15:04:07 EDT 2009

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 9:12 AM, Ernie Dulanowsky <ernst at pulsewidth.ca> wrote:

> On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 6:13 AM, Norval Watson <norv2001 at yahoo.com.au>
> wrote:
>>

>> >Sorry, should've paid attention to your email domain.
>>
>> Apology not necessary, thanks for the input!
>> Actually I'm meeting my brothers from USA in Paris in June (for a
>> wedding).
>> So I might be able to get one of them to bring an Eee across if I get it
>> delivered to them in the States. It DOES seem to be better all round, apart
>> from the keyboard which gets a few gripes on the Net.
>> The 110V power supply would need a ten dollar 240V converter but that's no
>> biggie.
>>
>> Norv

> Hi:
> If you haven't looked at them yet it would be worth your while to investigae
> the MSI Wind netbooks as well. I've had one since September and I'm very
> happy with it, aside from the crap Realtek wireless card. Runs UbuntuStudio
> quite well.
>
> cheers,
> ernie
>

> --

Regarding the eeepc, I typed this on one, and I have large heavily
calloused hands and fingertips (I work full time as a stockkeeper
throwing boxes of clothing around all day), it just takes a while to
get used to, but it is possible. At times I have used a full sized
external usb keyboard, but eventually I just got used to this one, it
took some patience though.

If you do get an eeepc, I recommend the debian eee extensions (and of
course the multimedia repositories), their installer was a cinch and
everything worked perfect, except for the X11 screen resolution that
installed as 800x400 rather than the maximum 800x600 for my model, I
will be trying to fix the resolution when I have some free time this
weekend. Previously I was using ubuntu hardy (which the previous owner
had installed), but the webcam was not working, nor suspend or the
external monitor link, and the same default X11 resolution issues were
there as well.