[LAU] can't compile realtime kernel: error: conflicting types for 'irqreturn_t'

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de
Wed May 13 17:52:53 EDT 2009

Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 10:35:42PM +0200, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
>
>> the giveaway here is *staging*, or, as greg kh has it, "crap". nothing
>> in staging is needed (or should even be considered) for serious kernels.
>
> I see more and more crap in recent Linux distros, but what
> is this 'staging' thing ?

staging/ is a subtree inside the kernel which is meant for code
contributions from vendors. drivers in there are generally not up to
kernel coding standards and usually break stuff, but the idea is to a)
provide a token of acknowledgement of a vendor's willingness to
cooperate before b) they get their asses flamed off over implementation
details and c) to prevent vendors from spending much work on
non-peer-reviewed, non-released out-of-tree development that will
inevitably lead to b) and much heartache.