[LAU] [PlanetCCRMA] Mixer Wowes

Burkhard Ritter burkhard at linuxaudio.org
Fri May 15 06:25:45 EDT 2009

TheOther wrote:
>  From this (disabling the motherboard sound chip) I inferred that
> PulseAudio was developed as a means for helping Windows users transfer
> to Linux in a painless manner.  I'm assuming PulseAudio was never
> intended to be useful for advanced Linux audio users, because it
> wasn't checking for additional sound chips/cards/devices *and*
> allowing the user to specify the order in which those sound
> chips/cards/devices would be used.  PulseAudio always defaulted to the
> motherboard sound chip, and a fair number of Linux sound applications
> always default to the default sound chip/card/device (which in the
> case of PulseAudio will be the motherboard sound chip.)  Hence, you're
> having all this trouble in trying to use a special video/audio card
> because PulseAudio and very likely your sound application are only
> trying to use your motherboard sound chip, since that is the default.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Stephen.

This is just wrong. You can change the default card easily from the
pulseaudio applet, see a recent thread for details and discussion. I'm
beginning to suspect that the bad acceptance of Pulseaudio that's
perceivable at least on this list is in not a small part only due to bad
user interface design. Namely hiding major functionality in context
menus in obscure places.

Burkhard