[LAU] [PlanetCCRMA] Mixer Wowes

Esben Stien b0ef at esben-stien.name
Sat May 16 08:32:27 EDT 2009

TheOther <theother1510 at sbcglobal.net> writes:

> I'm assuming PulseAudio was never intended to be useful for advanced
> Linux audio users

You've been led astray..;).

Pulseaudio addresses so many of the issues we have.

It works absolutely perfectly with JACK and I don't understand that so
many people are frustrated with it.

No application EVER should use ALSA or OSS directly.

Please enlighten me why. It seems all these reports are based on not
really knowing what pulseaudio is. Most people don't find the mixer,
to my understanding;), which is a distro issue.

It fixes a good load of ALSA issues we have and now it will also help
us with OSS.

All ALSA apps today should go through pulseaudio and later all OSS
will also go through it.

I run pulseaudio as a JACK client, so all my ALSA apps go through
pulseaudio which then goes through JACK. My bed computer also uses
pulseaudio which sends the audio over the network to my work station
pulseaudio daemon.

JACK is the answer to professional needs, but it severely lacks many
of the features that pulseaudio possesses, for non professional use.

Pulseaudio and JACK developers are also coordinating efforts.

There is even talk about some kind of integration, which would be the
final solution to the audio problem.

--
Esben Stien is b0ef at e     s      a
         http://www. s     t    n m