[LAU] [PlanetCCRMA] Mixer Wowes

drew Roberts zotz at 100jamz.com
Sun May 17 11:29:13 EDT 2009

On Saturday 16 May 2009 22:24:33 Justin Smith wrote:
> On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 6:17 PM, drew Roberts <zotz at 100jamz.com> wrote:
> > On Saturday 16 May 2009 11:52:18 alex stone wrote:
> >> Did the Jack
> >> team run over someone's cat?
> >
> > I love jack. Especially the routing flexibility.
> >
> > But I just switched one of my station loggin boxes from rotter which uses
> > jack to darkice because I wanted to go from loggin one station on the box
> > to loggin two.
> >
> > The box is a 1u rack mount machine with no onboard sound card. I hooked
> > up two different usb sound cards to it. To do what I wanted with jack and
> > rotter, I would have needed to be able to run two instances of jack on
> > the box at the same time and have rotter designed to deal with that
> > possibility. (Hmmm, I just had an idea. I will hold off until after I ask
> > the list though.)
> >
> > So, does anyone know how I could have done what I needed to with jack in
> > the mix and the hardware I had on hand?
> >
> > all the best,
> >
> > drew
>
> from man jackd: $JACK_DEFAULT_SERVER  specifies  the  default  server
> name.
>
> you can actually run two instances of qjactl which will each control a
> seperate jack instance if you start from the shell and have that
> parameter defined.

I will have to experiment with this. (perhaps my only one instance was bad
memory and rdairplay and not jack... hmmm)

> Your client program can use setenv() to change
> default servers in order to have connections with both. It is up to
> you to deal with the possibility of different buffer sizes or clock
> skew etc. of course.

In the particular instance I am intersted in here, I would want two different
jackds running and two different instances of rotter, one to connect to each
jack. I will have to see if rotter can deal with this and if not if I can
patch it or get Nicholas intersted in making the change. (If needed.)

http://www.aelius.com/njh/rotter/ for those interested.

Thanks for the info.

all the best,

drew