[LAU] [Jack-Devel] more jack/qjackctl madness

Fons Adriaensen fons at kokkinizita.net
Sun May 17 19:50:45 EDT 2009

On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 06:37:27PM +0100, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:

> can you explain a bit what is supposed to be "the right jackd"?

OK. The 'right' one is the one that qjackctl is configured
for, also the one specified in ~/jackdrc. It uses the
Terratec EWT88 card which is hw:1.

The 'wrong' one is using the on-board Intel stuff which
is hw:0.

1. I accidentally start a jackified app without a server
running. This autostarts the wrong jackd. Jackd seems to
ignore ~/.jackdrc.

2. No problem, this jackd had the -T option, when I stop
the application then the jackd is gone as well.

Without dbus all is ok afterwards. But with dbus:

3. I start qjackctl. It immediately shows a running
jackd (** there was none before, so running qjackctl
started it **). This jackd is the 'wrong' one.

4. Stopping and starting in qjackctl does not help,
this always starts the 'wrong' one. Qjackctl's setup
window still shows the 'right' one, but all settings
there are ignored.

5. So it's now impossible to start the 'right' one
from qjackctl. To revert to normal you have to kill
a daemon created by the dbus stuff.

> afaict, qjackctl starts jackd with the exact argument parameters as
> given in its setup dialog, no more, no less, no guessing.

Not is this case.

Ciao,

--
FA

Io lo dico sempre: l'Italia è troppo stretta e lunga.