[LAU] [Jack-Devel] more jack/qjackctl madness

Fons Adriaensen fons at kokkinizita.net
Sun May 17 20:25:10 EDT 2009

On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 11:23:32AM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:

> I wonder if there are two copies of Jack on the system, sort of a
> /usr/bin and a /usr/local/bin. I've had that happena few times when I
> forgot to explicitly set a path building code by hand.

Up to two hours ago no Jack had ever been compiled
on this system which is quite recent. It just had a
binary install of jackdmp 1.9.2 and qjackctl 0.3.4.

> I agree with Rui's comments. If Jack is set up correctly on my system
> I've never had qjackctl do anything other than use what I put in the
> settings box and show it to me in the message window.

It's probably not qjackctl doing something wrong,
but rather the dbus daemon left behind by a previous
server preventing qjackctl to do the right thing -
start a server using the configuration defined in
its Setup window. The previous server restarts as
soon as qjackctl is started, it just doesn't get
a chance to configure anything else.

Two remarks:

1. The whole idea of using daemons to provide
'persistence' is fundamentally wrong. If I want
something to be persistent I will configure it,
and that configuration should be just **data**
in a file. Allowing daemons to take that role
is as stupid as accepting executable content
in mail.

2. If autostart is to be useful it should at
least be possible to configure the server that
gets autostarted. This seems to be impossible.
The obvious place to put such a configuration,
~/.jackdrc, is completely ignored by jackd,
despite that file's name.

Ciao,

--
FA

Io lo dico sempre: l'Italia è troppo stretta e lunga.