[LAU] jackdbus issues: a workaround ? (Was: more jack/qjackctl madness)

MarcO'Chapeau marco at marcochapeau.org
Mon May 18 05:12:17 EDT 2009

On Mon, 18 May 2009 01:50:45 +0200, Fons Adriaensen <fons at kokkinizita.net>
wrote:

Hi,

Let's try to find an acceptable workaround until this is all sorted out.

> 1. I accidentally start a jackified app without a server
> running. This autostarts the wrong jackd. Jackd seems to
> ignore ~/.jackdrc.
>
> 2. No problem, this jackd had the -T option, when I stop
> the application then the jackd is gone as well.
>
> Without dbus all is ok afterwards. But with dbus:
>
> 3. I start qjackctl. It immediately shows a running
> jackd (** there was none before, so running qjackctl
> started it **). This jackd is the 'wrong' one.

Very strange indeed... I'll test that.

> 4. Stopping and starting in qjackctl does not help,
> this always starts the 'wrong' one. Qjackctl's setup
> window still shows the 'right' one, but all settings
> there are ignored.
>
> 5. So it's now impossible to start the 'right' one
> from qjackctl. To revert to normal you have to kill
> a daemon created by the dbus stuff.

There's something you could try. In qjackctl there's a way to launch some
commands prior to jack startup. Could you try to add "jack_control stop" to
it ? This should stop any running server started in the jackdbus way. Be
aware though that the jackdbus process will remain even if the jack server
is
stopped. If you want the jackdbus to exit cleanly, you can add
"jack_control exit" to the other command. This should also work for what
you do in (5.) and is more convenient than a kill -9.

Of course, you also need to be aware that jack_control will use the dbus
interface to send those calls to jackdbus... It might as well eat your
babies :)

Cheers,
Marc-Olivier Barre.
------