[LAU] jackdbus issues: a workaround ? (Was: more jack/qjackctl madness)

MarcO'Chapeau marco at marcochapeau.org
Mon May 18 09:28:42 EDT 2009

On Mon, 18 May 2009 17:01:27 +0400, alex stone <compose59 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Marc,
> I'd be interested in hearing about your results on this little test.
>
> I tried it, as you've suggested, and it worked initially. But as you
> rightly say, the dbus daemon is used, and this brought up another
> challenge. When the system is rebooted, the dbus tries to assume
> priority, and i found jack was already started when i tried to open an
> instance of jack, so we're already facing a challenge just to get
> warmed up.
>
> After inserting the command, it worked the first time, but subsequent
> command calls didn't when restarting Qjackctl, even though the
> jack_control command was still present in Qjackctl setup as a command
> to be run before jack startup. On the contrary, jack tried to start
> but got shutdown almost immediately, and i had to remove the command,
> and run jack_control stop several times before the server finally laid
> down and died. (A Linux Warrior to the last. Make sure your enemy is
> truly out of the picture.)

I admit it was just a blind guess. I need to test this myself and I won't
be available till tomorrow... I'll keep you posted. And again, that would
probably be just a workaround, not a long term solution.

> I've STILL yet to hear an answer to my question though.
>
> Will the Jack team be continuing a completely non-dbus/pulse build for
> those who want more control over their audio environments, or are we
> to be enslaved to this new lack of choice for all eternity? (I'm sure
> the armour's going to get rusty before then.)

Answer will be another question: who's talking about pulse ?

Marc-Olivier Barre.
------
Participez au black-out anti-HADOPI :
http://www.laquadrature.net/fr/APPEL-HADOPI-blackout-du-net-francais