[LAU] MIDI Input of LAU Applications

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Mon May 18 09:40:42 EDT 2009

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 5:36 AM, Crypto <crptdngl71 at gmx.net> wrote:

> What I would like to do in a first place is "simply" control  MIDI applications
> that run on my notebook via these MIDI messages. Or, if you will say it like
> that: I need a MIDI link from my MIDI organ to the applications running on my
> notebook. The commands are sent after triggering/switching/moving the turning
> knobs/pushbuttons/drawbars.

at LAC 2006 (? it could have been 2005 or even 2004) there was a
presentation of an app that converted MIDI into X Events, allowing
MIDI to be used to control any X Window application even if it did not
use MIDI itself. i don't know if this app is still available, or how
well it worked, though the demonstration certainly did. You could make
MIDI trigger arbitrary buttons on the screen, move knobs, faders etc.
i'm not much of an advocate of this kind of approach, but its worth
being aware of.

> Keykit has other things that still need resolving (I have found it cannot yet
> handle more than one MIDI input on linux machines),

this is not true. I (re)wrote the linux MIDI support in KeyKit
specifically to support this. there is a readme file in the
distribution about how to do it.

> I was stuck by the fact that an otherwise great application like hydrogen is
> unable to perform a simple thing such as playing a fill-in via MIDI, although
> it offers plenty of ways to play all sorts of MIDI sequences (I compare a fill-
> in to a sequence here). I know that hydrogen offers some commands such as
> "start" and "stop", but that is not enough for what I would like to do.
> hydrogen is like Edward Scissorhands without the human hands he should have
> received. hydrogen could do it if it only had a more advanced MIDI handling.

I think you are totally confused about what Hydrogen wants to be.