[LAU] [Jack-Devel] The simple thruth about jack-dbus

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Mon May 18 12:46:01 EDT 2009

So if I understand this correctly (and please correct me if I am wrong), we
now have a way to build jack clients which work only with dbus or with
direct access to C API? If so, what happens if an app that has been built to
work with dbus support only (is this even possible?) tries to access jackd
that has no dbus support built-in? If the app has no automatic means of
falling back to the C API access this basically makes jackd as problematic
as the early years of ALSA when apps were unable to work with it because
they only supported OSS... If so, I think this is a *really bad* move. In
addition, is "falling back" aspect of this hypothetical case something that
jack handles automagically or is this an added overhead for a programmer?
Latter, of course, would be yet another *really bad* move IMHO...

Ico