[LAU] pulseaudio issues [was Re: jackdbus issues: a workaround ? (Was: more jack/qjackctl madness)]

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Tue May 19 23:27:49 EDT 2009

Hartmut Noack wrote:

> Paul Davis schrieb:
>
>> On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 9:49 AM, alex stone <compose59 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> This is, i believe, at the heart of the problem.
>>>
>>> As a user looking in from the outside, it appears odd that the pulse
>>> team didn't jump onboard with jack,
>>>
>> "they" (i.e. Lennart) know all about JACK. JACK and Pulse superfically
>> some similarities ("sound server") but at a deeper level have almost
>> diametrically opposed goals.
>>

> Do you think, that Jack and Pulse could see each other as perfect
> abstractions:
> Pulse sees Jackd as just another "soundcard"-Port it can deliver its
> stream to - the same as it does with alsa
> Jackd sees Pulse as just another application that delivers a stream -
> the same as it is related to Zyandd or Ardour
> ?
>
> Or would realtime-issues in Pulse still destabilize Jackd if Pulse runs
> as a jack-client?

Is the situation with pulse and jack really this bad that pulse can
actually take down jack if it has a runtime issue?

I don't recall anyone mentioning that scenario over the past few years.
It wouldn't surprise me though as pulse is a unique beast and may put
strain on the system if it is competing with jack.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd