[LAU] Hard lock-ups -- Trying to narrow the cause

James Cameron quozl at us.netrek.org
Fri May 22 01:08:20 EDT 2009

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 12:35:50AM -0400, Darren Landrum wrote:
> James Cameron wrote:
> > Run memtest from the Ubuntu boot CDs for a couple of hours, or even
> > overnight.
>
> Already done, nothing came up, but I suppose I can do it again.

Okay, good, that excludes single cause memory or CPU problems.  In my
day job I've seen systems that will not trigger memtest failures yet
show evidence of them when other devices are used.  memtest doesn't
exercise the memory at the same time as the PCI bus or devices on it.
So it helps here by suggesting the memory and CPU are fine.

> > Describe the hang ... can the host be pinged on the network?
>
> That's one thing I haven't checked yet. If (when?) it happens again,
> I'll be sure to check.

Thanks.  Also, take note of what hangs ... does the mouse move on
screen, does the capslock LED respond on the keyboard, are there any
unusual LED indications from the front panel; e.g. disk LED jammed on.

There are some really interesting methods to capture data about a hang,
but not sure if you want to go there yet.  My favourite is a serial
console with a laptop next to the failing system.