[LAU] Hard lock-ups -- Trying to narrow the cause

Loki Davison loki.davison at gmail.com
Sun May 24 19:39:06 EDT 2009

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 2:06 PM, Darren Landrum
<darren.landrum at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> All that, and I forget to even mention the hardware:
>
> AMD64 6000+ dual-core (3.1Ghz, I think)
> SATA3 hard disks
> 2GB dual-channel RAM (800Mhz)
> Asus M2NPV-VM (NVidia chipset)
> Ubuntu Studio 9.04 32-bit edition
>
> 32- or 64-bit OS doesn't seem to have any impact as far as these
> lock-ups are concerned. I've been trying them all.
>
> -- Darren

I was trying to debug similar random lockup a few months ago, usually
under heavy disk IO but sometimes at total idle. I ran memtest86 for
many nights with no problems. Swapped ram (8 GB), no change.
Eventually swapped motherboard for a newer and higher end board. All
problems fixed, no crashes since change, uptime now a few months :)

Loki